CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:
FIGMENT DERBY 19th AUGUST 2017
CATHEDRAL GREEN, IN FRONT OF DERBY SILK MILL
We need creative people, writers, photographers, artists, makers, musicians, wonder makers… Have you got ideas you want to test with a live audience, old projects that could do with a new spin, or just need to take a deep breath and jump out there with an All Time New Piece of Wonder? Whether you make art all the time or wonder if you ever could, FIGMENT Derby might be for you. We accepts submissions from artists of all ages and experience.
Submit your project using the FIGMENT Artist Submission Portal
If you don't feel comfortable with technology and would like us to help you; or if you have any problems to submit your project, please contact Laura on 01332 641 901.
How to Submit Your Project
FIGMENT asks that you create an account on the FIGMENT Artist Submission Portal to begin your process of submission. This is your account to keep, so please document your username and password.
Once you’ve created your account, you’ll log back in and you can choose the city you’d like to create a project for.
You can incrementally save your project. This allows you, the artist, to begin a project proposal, and come back to it another day. Remember though, once you’ve clicked the ‘submit’ button, you’ll no longer be able to make changes to that project.
After you submit, you will be assigned a curator, who will be your official contact and through the FIGMENT evaluation process, and then your guide supporting you through the event itself to ensure bringing your project to FIGMENT goes as smoothly as possible.
Submissions will be accepted until Friday 18th August 2017! An entry form will be made available. The earlier you submit your project, the more personal attention you will get from our Curatorial Team!
Entries are encouraged from individuals or teams of any age or experience level, provided they are prepared to carry out the project.
9 Things Artists Should Know about FIGMENT
FIGMENT is not your typical art event. Here are 9 key things to keep in mind before submitting for FIGMENT Derby:
- Everyone is welcome. Artists and participants of any age or experience are welcome to be a part of FIGMENT.
- All art is participatory. All of the art at FIGMENT is participatory. We look for art that encourages people to play, dance, sing, create, engage, experiment, and explore their environment.
- No sales, logos, or advertising. The art at FIGMENT is a gift from the artist to the FIGMENT community. Nothing is for sale at FIGMENT. At FIGMENT, interactions between people are not mediated by commercial transactions of any kind. There is no advertising, nothing is for sale, and no one asks for donations.
- We’re outdoors in a public park. FIGMENT takes place outdoors in a public area, so your project should be designed to withstand the weather and the public.
- We leave no trace. Your project can not leave any trace or mark on Cathedral Green, and artists must be prepared to completely remove and clean up after their project.
- We’re all volunteer. FIGMENT is an all-volunteer organisation. Our staff gives their time as a gift to artists and participants. Additionally, artists need to supply all of the labor they need to install, supervise, and deinstall their project.
- FIGMENT is a completely free event. There is no charge for artists or participants to be a part of the event.
- We have no artists grants. The event does not have a budget for project grants.
- We're in other cities, too! There are FIGMENT Weekend events happening around the globe, and we encourage artists to bring their projects to multiple cities! Find out where else FIGMENT is happening.
FIGMENT Submission Guidelines
FIGMENT welcomes works in every imaginable medium including sculpture, installation, performance, music, workshops, games, experiences, site-specific pieces, social experiments, and anything else you can dream of. We invite any project that inspires visitors to participate and interact with art.
Your FIGMENT project can be submitted by an individual or group of individuals. FIGMENT focuses on participatory art, art that builds community through sharing, and gets people to interact with one another, talk to each other, create and share experiences together. By participating in FIGMENT, you are building important connections and weaving the social fabric that creates community.
When thinking about your submission, especially when you are bringing a performance to the space, think about how your project will affect other projects. Is it noisy? Does it require quiet? Does it have the potential to be messy?
Please consider your materials carefully. Where do they come from? Where will they go after the event is over? Given the temporary nature of any installation, if possible please consider creating your work from found waste materials, or from materials that can be temporarily appropriated and then reused after the installation. One of FIGMENT’s main principles is Leave no Trace. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. Be prepared and committed to clean up your art project after FIGMENT is done.
Please note that you will be responsible for the design, construction, maintenance, installation, execution and de-installation of your project.